Pacific Steel Casting Company was founded in 1934, making steel castings for the U.S. Military. One of the founders was Ivan Johnson, the first chairman of the Bay Area Air Quality Management District. The foundry quickly gained a reputation for making high quality castings and it grew steadily over the years in the industrial neighborhood on Second Street in West Berkeley.
As PSC grew, the steel industry in the United States shrank as foreign produced steel products flooded the American market. Today, PSC is one of the three largest surviving steel foundry in North America. The company has grown steadily throughout the years adding Plant #2 in 1974 and Plant #3 in 1981. Pacific Steel has survived tough competition and high operating costs by maintaining loyal customers who return for excellent service and superior quality castings.
On August 25th 2014 Pacific Steel Casting Company was acquired by Speyside Equity and Alcast Company permanent mold aluminum foundry. Speyside announced that it had acquired the operational assets of Pacific Steel Casting Company ("Pacific Steel") and was partnering with Alcast Company, a strategic player in the foundry space with whom Speyside has previously worked successfully. The sale to Speyside and Alcast was approved by the courts under sections 105, 363 and 365 of the bankruptcy code.
With the new ownership, Pacific Steel (now Pacific Steel Casting Company LLC) will stay open and continue to operate without any major changes and will continue its steel casting operations. PSC has been and will continue to be a successful steel foundry operating in the United States producing high quality steel castings!